By: Jennifer Provenza at Good Food From The Heart
Whole food plant based, oil free, sugar free, gluten free option, nut free
This fluffy, flavorful tofu scramble pairs perfectly with creamy avocado and a toasted whole grain English muffin.
Hearty Weekend Brunch
So every Saturday and Sunday morning I go out and run five miles or so. And, let me tell you, when I get back I am HUNGRY. I like to reward myself with a hearty brunch and a second cup of coffee. (I can’t drink two cups before I run or my poor bladder would explode). Anyway, one of my favorite post run breakfasts is the Tofu Scramble Avocado Toast. It is so hearty and delicious and it hits the spot. Best of all, it’s super healthy and gives me some nice healthy fat and some protein to get through the rest of my day.
This week I took the kids on a “girls only” vacation. (Ian had too much work and had to stay behind). We drove about an hour and forty minutes from our house into the foothills and stayed at this tricked out yurt. It was SO cool. I mean, this thing was massive (way bigger than a hotel room). Even better, it had a full kitchen and bathroom inside, a wall heater, and a wood burning stove. Best part though: an outdoor bathtub. Taking a hot bath on a cold evening, watching the sunset while surrounded by pine trees was amazing. Seriously. Best. Thing. Ever. Cannot more highly recommend. In fact, I’m about to try to figure out how to get a bathtub into my backyard.
Anyway, besides staying at the really cool yurt, we explored this beautiful river with tons of rocks for the kids to climb on. And, on the way home, we got to see an outdoor exhibit about the Native Americans M is studying in school. The kids (and I) had a wonderful time. It was just what we needed.
Anyway, now that we are home, I’m back to cooking and this is the perfect weekend to relax with one of my favorite breakfasts.
Tofu: I am totally in love with prepressed tofu because I am very impatient and I dislike watery tofu. I’ve been using Nasoya tofu. If you can’t find prepressed tofu, you’ll need to press out the extra liquid before you begin making the tofu scramble.
Turmeric: The turmeric not only adds flavor but also a lovely yellow color that gives this the look of scrambled eggs. For more of that “eggy” flavor, you could consider adding black salt, but I’m personally not a fan, so I leave it out.
Cherry Tomatoes: Get the best ones you can fine. I recommend heirloom cherry tomatoes.
Sundried Tomatoes: Try to find ones that are not packed in oil, as they will be much healthier.
Sprouts or Microgreens: I’ve always been a huge fan of sprouts, even as a kid (yay 80’s health food!) But if you aren’t, you can use microgreens or omit.
Bread: Feel free to use any whole grain or gluten free bread you like. My favorite way to serve this is on a whole grain English muffin, but it’s also great on a bagel or some nice, crusty whole grain bread. Regular toast will do fine in a pinch.
How To Make This Tofu Scramble Avocado Toast
To begin, make your tofu scramble. Start by mincing the garlic and chopping your sun dried and cherry tomatoes. Then, crumble the tofu with your hands (or chop into small pieces). I prefer to hand crumble, though, as you get more of a “scramble” texture. Next, cook the tofu, garlic, tomatoes, turmeric, and sundried tomatoes over medium heat in a non stick pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
While the tofu is cooking, go ahead and put your bread in the toaster. Then, mash your avocado in a bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. Be sure to stir the tofu mixture occasionally.
Once the garlic is translucent and the tofu is heated through, you can remove it from the heat. To assemble, top your bread with mashed avocado and cover with the tofu mixture. Add sprouts, chopped green onion, and a spritz of lime juice.
And if you like breakfast, you should also try my Vegan Caramelized Banana French Toast.
Tofu Scramble Avocado Toast
- Non Stick Pan
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu drained
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes sliced
- 1 avocado mashed
- 2 whole grain or gluten free English muffins (or pieces of bread) toasted
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup sprouts or microgreens
- 1 lime
- Mince the garlic and chop the cherry tomatoes and sundried tomatoes.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands (or chop into small pieces) and place into a medium non stick pan. Add a spray of nonstick spray if necessary. Add the garlic, tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium heat until warmed through and until garlic is transluscent, about five minutes.
- Mash the avocado and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the whole grain or gluten free English muffins or bread.
- Spread 1/4 of the mashed avocado mixture on each of the four halves of English muffin. (Or 1/2 the mixture on each of two pieces of bread). Top with the tofu scramble and garnish with the green onion and the sprouts or microgreens. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice, if desired. Serve with fruit, roasted potatoes, and/or coffee.
Follow me on Instagram @goodfoodfromtheheart and Pinterest at Good Food From the Heart and Facebook @GoodFoodFromTheHeart If you make this recipe, post it and be sure to tag me! Or Pin to Pinterest and make later.