By: Jennifer Provenza at Good Food From The Heart
Whole food plant based, oil free, sugar free, soy free, can be gluten free
These healthy, dairy free heart shaped air fryer mini pizzas are incredibly delicious and totally adorable! Eat with your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day. Kids love them too!
Valentine’s Day Traditions
In my family, we have a longstanding tradition of having heart shaped pizza for dinner on Valentine’s Day, followed by brownies. (Not to mention that we start the day with heart shaped pink pancakes or waffles). To say we are into holidays may be a bit of an understatement. If possible, Ian and I usually try to get out on a date to a nice restaurant as well, but because of the markup and the difficulty finding a babysitter, we usually do that on another night, like the 13th or the 15th. This year, we will be enjoying dinner at home. And, as usual, on the 14th, we will be having a special meal with our kids. I used to order a heart shaped pizza, but takeout pizzas are far from healthy and it turns out my kids actually prefer my homemade pizza anyway. Yay!
I’m planning really cute surprises for my girls because, after all, they are my little sweethearts. For M, who is 8, I’ve gotten her a card themed after Adopt Me (a Roblox game she is obsessed with) and an Adopt Me unicorn necklace. For C, who is 8, and looooves Baby Yoda, I have gotten her a card that says “Baby, Yoda one for me” and a Maggie Simpson doll, which cracks me up, but she just loves Maggie Simpson. (Check out the Maggie Simpson shorts on Disney + and you will get a good idea why.) She even wants to be Maggie for Halloween next year. I have a feeling the girls will love their gifts!
Mini Heart Shaped Pizzas-Air Fryer Optional
These little heart shaped pizzas are just the cutest thing ever! They are perfect for Valentine’s Day, much healthier than regular pizza, and so easy to make. Sometimes I go the whole nine yards and make a homemade pizza crust and bake it in the oven (I will probably eventually share a recipe for this), but when I need a quick weeknight dinner, this is one of my go to’s. Plus, it’s so easy to make them heart shaped that it’s a great solution when you want a cute, kid pleasing dinner. These are perfect for romantic date nights, kids’ parties, and really anytime at all. These are easiest in my opinion if you have an air fryer, but you could easily bake them in the oven as well.
Pita bread: For these mini heart shaped air fryer pizzas, start with pita bread. So easy! Make sure to use whole grain pita bread for optimal healthiness (or use gluten free if necessary).
Tomato Sauce: For best results, use my Best Homemade Oil Free Tomato Sauce.
Cheese: To keep this whole food plant based and oil free, use my Best Cashew Mozzarella.
Toppings: I like to top this pizza with sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and chopped basil. Be sure to add the sundried tomatoes and basil after you bake the pizza, or these toppings will burn.
How to Make This Recipe
This recipe is very simple, especially if you already have sauce and cheese on hand. If not, it will take a bit longer. Begin by cutting your pitas into a heart shape, using kitchen scissors. You can also use a knife, but I find the scissors to be the easiest way. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings that won’t burn, such as mushrooms. Then bake in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 370 degrees and top with additional toppings. (If you don’t have an air fryer, bake at 425 degrees until warm and slightly browned).
Air Fryer Mini Heart Shaped Pizzas
- air fryer (optional)
- kitchen scissors
- 2 whole wheat or gluten free pita bread loaves
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or to taste
- 1 cup Best Cashew Mozzerella to taste
- toppings of choice
- Start by cutting your pita loaves into a heart shape. The easiest way to do this is with kitchen scissors, but you could also use a knife.
- Top each pita with tomato sauce. For best results, use my Best Homemade Oil Free Tomato Sauce recipe. Top with your cheese of choice. To keep this whole food plant based and oil free, use my recipe for Best Cashew Mozzerella.
- Top with toppings that will not burn (such as mushrooms and olives). You will add the other toppings after you cook the pizzas.
- Place in the air fryer for five minutes at 370 degrees. (Note: If you do a second batch, don't cook them as long. Start with three minutes.)
- Remove pizzas from the air fryer and top with any additional desired toppings, such as sundried tomatoes, chopped basil, or green onions. If you don't have an air fryer, bake at 425 degrees until warmed through and slightly browned.
Follow me on Instagram @goodfoodfromtheheart and Pinterest at Good Food From the Heart and Facebook @GoodFoodFromTheHeart If you make this recipe, post it and be sure to tag me! Or Pin to Pinterest and make later.